With the help of our joints, there are different tasks which we are able to do. The movement of the body is possible with the help of joints only. Along with the joints, there are different components such as ligaments, tendons, skeleton, connective tissues etc. which forms our musculoskeletal system. The main role of our musculoskeletal system is to provide form, support, stability and movement to body but all of this can be hampered due to some diseases and conditions that are related to the above mentioned system. If you are suffering from any of these problems, then you see an orthopedic specialist in Delhi and the best choice for that is IBS Hospital.
Orthopedics is that branch of medicine that deals with the disorders of the musculoskeletal system. Our musculoskeletal system gets hit due to the following reasons –
1. Arthritis is the most common conditions which hampers the normal working conditions of the bone. In this condition, inflammation of the joints is there.
2. Any injury caused to our joints such as fracture is also a cause.
3. As we begin to age, our bones and joints begin to get worn off. This causes pain of hip, knees, shoulder etc.
4. Sometimes, while playing sports, joints can get affected due to extra pressure.
The best way out is in the form of joint replacement surgery. This type of surgery is an option of people who have tried less invasive procedures but are not getting any relief from them. In this surgery, the diseased and defected joint gets replaced with the help of an orthopedic prosthesis. This prosthesis is made of ceramic, plastic or metal. Two of the most common body parts that can get hit are knees and hips. Most of these surgeries happen at old age.
The surgery of the joint takes almost 2-3 hours to get completed. In this surgery, all the damaged cartilage and bones are removed from the body and replaced with an artificial prosthesis. This prosthesis is highly advanced and works in the same manner as a natural joint. There are different body parts which may require surgery and the procedure for each of them is different from the other. Some of the different joint replacement surgeries are –
1. Knee replacement surgery – there are weight bearing surfaces in the knee joint. When they get worn of, replacement is required and the most common condition related to this is known as osteoarthritis. One of the most common procedures to perform a knee replacement surgery is Arthroscopy. It is a minimally invasive technique which requires the use of arthroscope.
2. Hip replacement surgery – the artificial implant is known by the name of hip prosthesis. Arthritis is the disease which can cause most of the hip trouble. A cut is made along the side of the hip to remove the damaged cartilage and put a new one. In this procedure anesthesia is provided and incisions are made on the side.