What is Neuromuscular Disorder ?
Neuromuscular disorders are a type of disorders which affects the functioning of our muscles. These muscles are in your control such as in your arms or legs. Neurons send the messages that control these muscles. When neuron becomes unhealthy, there is no communication between your nervous system and muscles which results in their breaking down. Symptoms of the neuromuscular disease include
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle atrophy
Some of the common causes of neuromuscular disorders are –
- Polymyalgia rheumatic – it is an inflammatory disorder which causes muscle pain and stiffness around the shoulders and hips. The pain is sudden and can occur gradually over a period.
- Polymyositis – it is an autoimmune condition in which that causes muscle weakness affecting both the sides of the body.
- Tumors such as leiomyoma (smooth muscle) and rhabdomyoma (striated muscle) cause weakness in the muscle.
- Genetic and hereditary disorders which mean that they run in the family or there is a mutation in the genes.
Course In Hospital
Treatment of Neuromuscular Disorder Managements
There is no definite cure but the symptoms can be effectively managed and treated. Some methods are
- Drug therapy in the form of immunosuppressive drugs can treat certain muscle and nerve diseases and diseases of the nerve-muscle junction. Anticonvulsants and antidepressants are also used in addition.
- In case of spasticity, Botulinum Neurotoxin (BoNT) is injected into the muscles to block nerve signals that cause muscle spasms or pain.
- You may be suggested physical therapy along with speech therapy in addition to individual and family sessions.
Patient Stories & Case Studies
Consult with Experienced Doctors
Dr. Kishan Raj
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Choudhary
Dr. Rajesh Kumar
IBS Facilities and ServicesRead more
IBS Facilities and Services
Doctor SpeaksKnow more
IBS HospitalsKnow more
IBS - Cure. Care. CompassionKnow more
International Patient TestimonialsOur hospital services
International Patients Help Desk
Events, News & GalleryKnow more
Events, News & Gallery
Rehabilitation CentreOur out-of-hospital services