What is Operation Theatre ?
An operating theater is a special room in a hospital in which surgical operations are carried out under specifically created environment. It generally accommodates one patient at a time. The surgical procedure is carried out under the direct supervision of a medical specialist for the prevention, diagnosis or cure of different diseases and conditions.
Much consideration is given to the design of the operating room to make sure the safe performance of surgical operations. There should be a minimum risk of infections otherwise there can be increased chance of failure. These rooms are spacious with sound lighting and cleanliness should not be an issue. There are viewing screen present in the room to see the correct progress of the procedure. The temperature of the room is controlled with no windows.
It is laced with state of the art equipment and the doctors, as well as nurses performing the procedures, should be highly experienced. Some of the common surgical specialties performed in an operating room are:
- Major plastic and reconstructive surgeries.
- Open and laparoscopic general surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Bariatric surgery
- A joint such as hip, knee, shoulder replacement.
- Gynecological surgery
Some of the important equipment that is found in an operating theater are as follows –
- Operating table present in the center of the room. It can be raised, lowered and tilted according to the preference and ease of the doctor.
- Operating room lights are present over the table so that there are enough brightness and no shadow.
- In case of heart surgery, there is a heart-lung machine. To maintain the circulation of blood and oxygen content in the body, the heart-lung machine will take the temporary control of the heart and lung.
- There is a stainless steel table in which sterile instruments are placed to avoid any risk of infection.
- At the head of the operating table, there will be anesthesia machine. Its tubes are connected to the patient to help in breathing and feel no pain or discomfort.
- Automated blood pressure machine inflates the blood pressure cuff on the arm of the patient.
Patient Stories & Case Studies
Consult with Experienced Doctors
IBS Facilities and ServicesRead more
IBS Facilities and Services
Doctor SpeaksKnow more
IBS HospitalsKnow more
IBS - Cure. Care. CompassionKnow more
International Patient TestimonialsOur hospital services
International Patients Help Desk
Events, News & GalleryKnow more
Events, News & Gallery
Rehabilitation CentreOur out-of-hospital services