What is Pediatric Neurology ?
Pediatric neurology is the branch of medicine which deals with prevention, diagnosis, management, and treatment of neurological conditions of newborns, infants, children, and adolescents. Full range of neurological diseases is encompassed in this category. Diseases and disorders of the spinal cord, brain, peripheral nervous system, autonomic nervous system, muscles and blood vessels are a part of this.
The conditions and diseases which are diagnosed and treated by a pediatric neurologist vary considerably from simple conditions like aa migraine to rare and complex diseases like neurological disorders. Pediatric neurologists act as consultants to primary care physicians who refer children to a specialist for better and personalized care.
Our Pediatric neurologists treat children from birth to young adulthood. Their core of medical practice is directed towards the care of children only. The advanced training which they receive makes them highly equipped to meet child’s unique needs.
Around 45 percent of the children who come for treatment have epilepsy while 20 percent have learning disabilities and 20 percent are suffering from headaches. Following are the conditions which are solved by a pediatric neurologist -
- Seizure disorders including seizures in newborns, febrile convulsions, and epilepsy.
- Genetic diseases and congenital metabolic abnormalities of the nervous system. It also includes congenital birth defects that affect the brain and spinal cord such as spina bifida.
- Weakness in children including cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy and nerve-muscle disorders.
- Headaches and migraine.
- Behavioral disorders which lead to polarized behavior in children. It includes attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), school failure, autism and sleep problems.
- Developmental disorders including delayed speech, motor milestones, and coordination issues.
- Intellectual disability.
- Sleep disorders which are affecting the overall health of children like sleep apnea, the problem in breathing etc.
- Hospice and palliative medicine.
Patient Stories & Case Studies
Consult with Experienced Doctors
Dr. Kishan Raj
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Choudhary
Dr. Rajesh Kumar
IBS Facilities and ServicesRead more
IBS Facilities and Services
Doctor SpeaksKnow more
IBS HospitalsKnow more
IBS - Cure. Care. CompassionKnow more
International Patient TestimonialsOur hospital services
International Patients Help Desk
Events, News & GalleryKnow more
Events, News & Gallery
Rehabilitation CentreOur out-of-hospital services