Discover a haven of specialized care and unwavering support for Alzheimer’s Disease at IBS Hospital. Our dedicated team of experts offers personalized treatment plans designed to enhance quality of life and preserve dignity. With advanced therapies and compassionate guidance, we aim to provide comfort and hope for individuals and families navigating the challenges of Alzheimer’s.
What is Alzheimer’s Disease?
Alzheimer’s disease is the most common type of dementia, causing a gradual loss of memory. This makes it difficult for patients to interact with others and respond to their surroundings. The condition leads to the progressive shrinking and death of brain cells. Alzheimer’s accounts for around 60 to 70 percent of all dementia cases.
Recognising the Symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s directly targets the person’s memory, giving rise to symptoms that include:
- Memory-related symptoms:
- Inability to recall conversations
- Forgetting names
- Inability to remember dates
- Misplacing things frequently
- Using the same sentence or asking repetitive questions
- Changes in behaviour and personality
- Unusual behaviour
What causes Alzheimer’s Disease?
The exact cause of Alzheimer’s disease is not known, however, it has been linked to certain abnormalities in the brain proteins. These are believed to be caused by various genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors. These include:
- Abnormal brain proteins
- Genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors:
- Advancing age
- Family history of Alzheimer’s disease
- Certain brain changes
- Down syndrome
- Being female
- Traumatic brain injury
- Exposure to pollutants
- Mild cognitive impairment
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Disturbed sleep patterns
Diagnosis of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Evaluation of symptoms and their progression
- Blood analysis to rule out other conditions
- Biomarker tests for detecting plaques and tangles
- Physical and neurological examination
- Imaging tests like MRI and CT scan
Management / Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease at IBS Hospital
At IBS Hospital, we understand that Alzheimer’s disease cannot be cured. However, our treatments aim to manage the symptoms associated with memory and cognitive function. Our specialized approach includes:
- Medications such as cholinesterase inhibitors and memantine to manage symptoms effectively.
- Utilizing deep brain stimulation to regulate neuron activity and enhance cognitive function.
Our dedicated team is committed to providing the best care and support for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease.